Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It's Eidul-Adha!

Backtrack a bit... I was in tears from the last post. Said that I will be back, but I didn't. Not from the crying, more of terlupa! Suppose to post something about the ritual of sacrificing sheeps on this day.

Its an annual thing. On Eidul-Adha, I observe the big day, thinking of the Hajj pilgrims; their achievements, their challenges, etc. And there's also the slaughtering of sheeps, which I have the honour to observe yearly at Masjid Kassim, without fail. But... I always have this guilt, which I couldnt put away, until someone convince me that the whole process is fine, and that the sheeps are fine. My main concern was, if the sheeps felt pain. They shouldn't. Thats cruelty. I have my uncles and husband to enlighten me with some facts, and to assure me that these sheeps felt no pain and they are more than happy to be sacrificed, as Allah promised them jannah. About the sheep feeling pain... Basically, the Islamic method of slaught for, which Muslims believe is the ideal one, is carried out with utmost mercy on the part of the slaughterer , and minimum pain and suffering on the part of the animal. I Googled about this, and found:
Is Islamic Slaughtering Cruel to Animals? By Dr. Aisha El-Awady
After reading it, I'm convinced that the sheeps were fine. I'm convinced by the respects shown by the uncles and young men who did the slaughtering at Masjid Kassim. The kambings were held at a grassy shaded area, with food and water; while the slaughtering is done away from the herd. And when they took the kambing, one of the man will cover its eyes, so as not to let it see it's fellow gang's condition, so to speak.

About meeting the sheep at Titian Siratal Mustaqim... Not Confirmed. Again, I Googled about it, and found this. For now, it stops here. My next mission is to find out if the hadith is indeed authenticated. Join me OR share with me if you know about this. P.S: This one is also a good read - Eid al-Adha, the Festival Of Sacrifice in Islam

Surely Abraham was an example, obedient to Allah, by nature upright, and he was not of the polytheists. He was grateful for Our bounties. We chose him and guided him unto a right path. We gave him good in this world, and in the next he will most surely be among the righteous." (Qur'an 16:120-121)

No comments: